Email Is Dead. 😡 Stop Spamming Me, Dammit! 😡


We all have spam filters on our computers.

Books, webinars and many apps all strive for the ultimate goal of getting to Inbox Zero:
  • "Clear Up Your Inbox Now"
  • "5 Ways to Clean Out Your Gmail Inbox"
  • "How to Delete All Emails The Smart Way"
  • "How I Cleaned 1,328 Emails Out of My Inbox in an Hour"
  • "7 Tips for Handling Your Emails Without Feeling Overwhelmed"
  • "What Are Employers Doing to Reduce the Onslaught of Work Email?"
Most business professionals feel like emails are the biggest distraction for them to stay focused and efficient at home and in the workplace.

Yet, many business leaders who use Salesforce ask the same common questions:
  • How do I get this emailed to everyone on my team on a daily basis?
  • How can my team get email alerts anytime a lead is created?
  • Can you set up an email notification to the Sales Manager when an opportunity is ___ days old?

Yes, Salesforce provides many robust features to allow for all of these scenarios to get satisfied. 
  • You want emails every time a record is created or updated? ...Sure thing!
  • You want emails every time a record is over __ days old? ....You got it!
  • You want your team to get daily email alerts reminding them on each of the customers and prospects they should follow up on? ....Alrighty!
Let me ask you. As an employee, who is responsible for 20, 50, 200, 600 customers and prospects...DO YOU want to get 50 or 600 daily automated emails flooding your inbox?

Do you want to know what your employees will do as soon as you turn on these features?

They will set up mailbox rules in order to have all these daily email alerts automatically moved into a hidden folder (perhaps even directly to Trash or Spam) and they will not see any of these alerts ever again.

How do I know?

For better or for worse, I've seen this play out repeatedly nearly 90% of the times that a business leader implements daily email notifications. The other 10% allow those emails to come into the inbox...they are simply ignored like boring banner ads.

Let's consider for a moment that the scenario was flipped.

Would you like to receive daily email alerts and reminders from each of your employees, letting them know when they walked into the building, answered their first phone call of the day, when they went out or returned from lunch, and when they plan on leaving at the end of the day?

Wouldn't you be thrilled to receive weekly reminders from each of your employees - that they expect their paychecks to be deposited on a timely basis for that week, along with updated calculations of the hours they worked that week, and total number of vacation days remaining?

Chances are - you wouldn't.

Chances are - the thought of receiving these emails would have you consider firing any employee who attempted to spam you like that.

What should you do as an alternative?

Establishing a clear line of communication, making it abundantly clear to your team that you will hold them accountable for following up on those items that fall within their responsibility.

Remind them that you will be looking at the metrics on a weekly or monthly basis, and if their performance does not meet the agreed upon SLAs, there will be ramifications.

They will likely ask you how they can get quick and easy access to those records that are important to their job performance.

The answer is quite simple. There are several options available, including:
  • Reports
  • Dashboards
  • List Views
If they want immediate notification when records have particular attributes that meet the criteria necessary for follow up action - I recommend leveraging Process Builder with immediate Chatter post with @mentioning the individual who requires notification.

This way - if the employee WANTS to receive these alerts via email, they can.

If the employee WANTS to review the data on their schedule, they can.

This leads to happy employees.

Happy employees typically results in happy customers.

Happy employees and happy customers typically results in happy managers.

Do you want to be happy - or would you rather continue spamming your team?

-----------------------
About the author: David Giller

David Giller a Salesforce Trainer, Consultant, Blogger & Author. Although he started his professional career as an attorney, he entered the world of enterprise-scale IT management at NBCUniversal, and continued at GE Capital, where he was first introduced to Salesforce & became known as "The Salesforce Guru." David is now CEO of Brainiate. You can read more about David's bizarre career path here.

Don't miss a post! Subscribe to this blog via email, or add this blog to your Feedly.